BBQs, Pools and Gyms By-laws
Hot summer weather and the festive season is upon us and what a better time for lot owners and tenants to get fit, have a dip and pull out the barbie on a balmy summers day.
As the weather warms up to higher temperatures, so does the festive cheer. We recommend that reviewing and updating the following by-laws to help ensure that strata block has clear rules and a stress free summer festive season.
BBQs – Fire Safety and Smoke Drift
For safety and smoke drift purposes it is highly recommended that a comprehensive by-law regulating (sometimes prohibiting) the use of BBQs on balconies.
Regulations on the type of BBQs such as
- Open fires
- Storage of LPG bottles, inflammable liquids and other substances and materials
All of these items should be considered as part of your by-laws.
Pools – Don’t Ignore the Potential Risks
A communal pool in strata has its benefits, but the risks cannot be ignored that’s why it’s important to have a clear set of communal rules in the form of a by-law to ensure everyone stays safe.
A by-law with clear communal rules such as:
- ‘No running’, ‘no diving (in shallow water)’ and ‘no bringing of glass’ at the pool are all great ways to help ensure everyone’s safety.
- Electricity and water do not mix well, so it’s important to minimise the risk of accidents by limiting electrical use around pools.
- And…who can and cannot use the pool.
Gyms – Reduce your Risks
Like pools, gyms in strata complexes have many benefits however come with safety risks and that’s why it’s critical to have a set of by-law rules to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Keeping noise to a minimum
- Hours of gym operation
- Use and cleaning of equipment and more.
Our specialist team of strata lawyers have been developing and reviewing by-laws for over 40 years. So, if you’re looking for a by-law or a review, we’d be happy to assist.
BCOM LLB FACCAL I Partner